At a Glance
- Potato Type: Russet
- Prep Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: United States Potato Board
Here we top baked potatoes with sharp Cheddar and broccoli (use up those leftovers!) in a crowd-pleasing favorite. Make it a Meal: Serve with Mixed Green Salad with Chive Dressing.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup cooked small broccoli florets
- Salt & cayenne pepper to taste
1. Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place in the microwave and cook at 50% power, turning once or twice, until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. (Or, use the “potato setting” on your microwave and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.)
2. Heat 3/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until steaming, about 4 minutes.
3. Stir together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a cup until smooth. Add to the hot milk, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season with salt and cayenne.
4. Distribute broccoli over the baked potatoes, top with the cheese sauce and serve.
Calories: 269 Fat: 6g Sodium: 218mg Vitamin C: 50.4% Fiber: 4g Protein: 11g Potassium: 989mg