At a Glance
- Potato Type: Gemstone
- Prep Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- Yield: 10
- Prep Time:
- Ready Time:
- Cook Time:
Recipe By: Jackie Newgent, RD
“My favorite part of making this comforting strata recipe is that you prepare it in the evening, so that all you need to do in the morning is place it in the oven. It’s a perfect entrée for any breakfast or brunch gathering. But if you want, make this sumptuous egg dish all for just you. (I do!) Freeze individual portions of it, then simply heat it up in the microwave in the morning for a calorie-friendly breakfast—in just a minute. Enjoy!” –Jackie Newgent, RD
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces tri-color baby creamer potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic or champagne vinegar
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg (optional)
- 6 (1-ounce) slices whole grain bread, cut into 4 wedges each
- 12 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups plain almond or sunflower milk
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp or extra-sharp Cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded or finely chopped Paesanella or Taleggio cheese (3 ounces)
1. Coat a 9- x 13-inch or 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a (PFOA-free) nonstick Dutch oven or large deep skillet, melt the butter with the oil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, onion, and rosemary and sauté until the onion begins to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Stir in the vinegar. Add the spinach a large handful at a time and toss using tongs until wilted, about 2 1/2 minutes. Add ¼ teaspoon of the salt and, if using, the nutmeg and toss to combine. Set aside.
3. Evenly arrange half of the bread pieces in the baking dish. In order, evenly top with half of the spinach-potato mixture, half of the cheeses, and the remaining bread pieces, potato-spinach mixture, and cheeses. Drizzle with any remaining liquid from the Dutch oven.
4. Whisk together the eggs, almond milk, pepper, and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl and pour over the layers in the baking dish. Cover and chill overnight (at least 4 hours) in the refrigerator.
5. Remove the strata from the refrigerator and remove cover. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake until the strata is set, about 55 minutes. Let stand for at least 5 minutes, and serve.
Calories: 280 Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 240mg Sodium: 700mg Carbohydrates: 22g Fiber: 4g Protein: 16g