Soup for the holidays
Most of us are taking it easy and not hosting parties, which can be extremely expensive and time consuming endeavors. But what is this season about if not celebrating the holidays with friends and family, talking, laughing and sharing a meal? Why not start a new holiday tradition this year?
Think about it like this: It’s a frosty December evening, and everyone is fluffing the snow off their coats as they walk through the door. What dish would bring more holiday cheer to your friends and family than a hearty bowl of potato soup?
Soup is love! It’s comforting. It truly warms your body and soul. You can use a mix of your favorite vegetables to pack your soup with nutrition. Plus, it’s such a time-saver when you mix all the ingredients together in a Crock Pot six hours before guest arrive, and leave it.
Here are some great soup recipes to try this season:
- Cajun Shrimp Potato Chowder – This creamy full-flavored soup is as perfect for company as it is for the family. If you make the chowder ahead, reheat, then add the spinach just before serving.
- Potato and Corn Chowder – Perfect for a cold day.
- Tomato Potato Florentine Soup – To really give it an Italian flair, drop in fresh basil at the last five minutes of cooking (instead of dry basil) and grate a little Parmesan cheese on top when serving.
- Rich Potato Leek Soup – Made without a drop of cream, this rich potato leek soup is surprisingly smooth, silky and a warm delight.
- Shrimp and Red Potato Soup – This shrimp soup is loaded with warm nutrients from red potatoes and turnip greens. Delicious and rejuvenating all in one bowl.
- Seafood Potato Stew – Easy enough to make for a weeknight meal, and good enough to make for a special occasion.