Quarterly Mashup: Potatoes Every Way, Every Day
Potatoes as a Canvas for Creativity
According to a recent article in Flavor & The Menu, chefs are increasing their potato-based options in order to keep up with the demand for comfort-centric, craveable favorites. The article states “potatoes score incredibly high in the delivery and takeout space with 88 percent of delivery consumers loving or liking them, according to Datassential”. Given the competitive landscape, creativity in the flavor build is key. Check out these creative, unique potato dishes from restaurants around the US:
- Schmaltz Smashed Potatoes with rosemary gravy – a signature side at Honey Butter Fried Chicken, a quick-serve spot in Chicago known for its stellar chicken and craft beer.
- Crabby Tots – a loaded appetizer from The Choptank in Baltimore. These tots are loaded with the restaurant’s signature Maryland crab dip, Jack and cheddar cheese, green onion and Old Bay seasoning.
- Fried Butterball Potatoes – a savory dish at Majordomo in Los Angeles, that tosses crispy potato wedges in salsa seca with nuts, seeds and chiles.
The Brunch Special
Restaurants are no longer limited to take-out/delivery as restrictions adjust across the country. And as foot traffic continues to increase, and consumers begin to venture out with friends and family, there are more opportunities for restaurants to offer new menu items that feature potatoes. Often, potatoes are seen as a staple on brunch menus, in all types of applications from roasted to hashes and more. With Mother’s Day and National Mimosa Day around the corner, wow your brunch crowd with these creative potato-forward recipes.
- Bloody Mary Spice Roasted Potatoes with Pickled Celery
- Grilled Potato Benedict with Black Pepper Corn Puree
- Grilled Potato Toast with “Guacamame” and Pickled Corn Relish
- Loaded Potato Waffle
According to Chef Tony Gemignani, 13 Time World Pizza Champion, the latest pizza trend is potato pizza! Check out his latest Instagram post to see his newest pizza creation, the classic Pizza Americana. Tony also recently launched two new potato pizzas, Little Boise Boy and Hot Potato, at his restaurant, Napoletana, in San Francisco!
Visit the potato pizza page to get more recipes and inspiration, and start adding potato pizzas to your menus!
Did You Know?
Potato University is still in session! Don’t wait! Join other foodservice professionals on this online journey toward perfecting potato skills and learning all things potato. Designed for busy foodservice professions, this complimentary, online curriculum is a farm-to-fork journey where you’ll learn not just potato types but how to best use them. From fresh, to frozen, to dehydrated potatoes and even potato storage, nutrition and menu trends. Discover new and creative ways to incorporate all types of potatoes on menus. Whether it’s roasting, baking, frying, etc., Potato University has it all.
The Potatoes 101 course is approved for 2 continuing education credit hours with the American Culinary Federation (ACF) and Research Chefs Association (RCA).
Chef’s Roll – Trust Restaurant Group
Potatoes USA, along with Chef’s Roll, partnered with Chef Mark Schmitt, executive sous chef at Fort Oak restaurant in San Diego, to create a series of recipes utilizing potatoes in various formats across the menu. Schmitt’s focus was highlighting how fine dining-style recipes can be transformed into on-the-go and off-premise applications. A few of our favorite dishes created by Chef Schmitt:
- Beef Fat Twice Baked Potato with Spinach, Caramelized Shallot, Feta Cheese, Green Onion, Roasted Corn
- Breakfast Sausage and Hash Brown Quiche with Green Onion, Gruyere Cheese
- Paupiette of Potato Crusted Sea Bass with Braised Leek, Beurre Rouge
- Potato Sausage with Heirloom Bean, Potato Tuile
- Parisian Gnocco Fritto with Prosciutto, Pecorino, Pickled Fennel and Parsley
Watch and learn how Chef Mark Schmitt utilizes potatoes to transform fine dining takeout in this video.