This recipe is written and intended for school foodservice professionals. However, it also makes a great meal for when you're on the go.
1. Prepare instant mashed potatoes as directed. CCP: Hold hot at 135°F or higher.
2. Heat a large braising pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil and yellow onions. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until softened and slightly browned. Stir in the garam masala spice blend, turmeric, salt, and cayenne pepper, and cook for about 30 seconds to bring out the flavors of the spices. Add the chicken and frozen peas. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Stir in the fresh chopped cilantro.
CCP: Cook to a minimum internal temperature of 135°F.
3. Transfer the chicken mixture to steamtable pans and hold hot until service. CCP: Hold hot at 135°F or higher.
4. To make the raita (cucumber yogurt sauce), combine the yogurt, diced cucumber, cilantro, cumin, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper, and mix thoroughly. Portion the raita into 2-ounce portion cups. Chill until service. CCP: Hold cold at 41°F or below.
5. Assemble each flatbread just before service. To assemble, place 1 flatbread into a serving container. Using a #8 scoop, portion ½ cup of the mashed potatoes into the center of the flatbread. Press the back of the scoop into the mound of potatoes to make a well. Use a #8 scoop to portion ½ cup of the chicken mixture into the well in the mashed potatoes. Serve each flatbread with a 2-ounce portion of raita.
1 filled flatbread with 2 ounces raita
1 serving provides: 2 ounces meat/meat alternate, 2 ounce equivalents grains, ½ cup starchy vegetable, ¼ cup additional vegetable
How to make garam masala at home:
Directions: Mix cumin, coriander, cardamom, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a bowl. Place mix in an airtight container, and store in a cool, dry place.
Make this recipe a grab and go concept for middle and high schoolers! Using the same recipe, switch the mashed potatoes for potato wedges. Whether using frozen seasoned or fresh potato wedges, chill once fully cooked. In your garb and go box, add 2oz cup of the raita, cut the flatbread into wedges, add the chilled chicken mixture, and finally the chilled wedges. Top it off with a Potatoes Raise The Bar label found on the school resource page.
Be the first to review this recipe by clicking the button below
Please Note: You have clicked on a link to a website maintained by a third party and are about to leave the Potatoes USA website. The external link should not be considered an endorsement by Potatoes USA of the third party website or the company or organization that owns it, and Potatoes USA is not responsible for the accuracy or nature of the content of the linked website.
Click ‘OK’ to continue, or ‘Cancel’ to return to PotatoGoodness.com.OKCancel