White Potatoes vs. Sweet Potatoes
How do sweet potatoes and white potatoes compare when it comes to their nutrition profiles?
Both sweet and white potatoes provide similar amounts of key nutrients including protein (2g and 3g respectively), potassium and vitamin B6, all of which contribute to a well-balanced, nutrient-dense diet.
Note: “White” potatoes refer to one of the seven common potato types: russet, yellow, white, red, purple/blue, fingerling and petite.
SWEET POTATO VS WHITE POTATO FACTS
- Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes are both included on the FDA’s Top 20 Raw Vegetable list. 1
- Data for potatoes is based on a medium-size potato (148 grams/5.3 ounces).
- Data for sweet potatoes is based on a medium-size sweet potato (130 grams/4.6 ounces).
- The FDA’s nutrient analysis for the Top 20 Raw Vegetables indicates the following:
- Both white and sweet potatoes are good sources of potassium. A medium-size white potato offers 620 mg of potassium while a medium-size sweet potato offers 440 mg of potassium.
- Both white potatoes and sweet potatoes are excellent sources of vitamin C. A medium-size white potato provides 30 percent of the daily value, which is the same amount of vitamin C as one medium-size sweet potato.
- White potatoes are similar in calories and carbohydrates when compared to sweet potatoes. One medium-size white potato contains 110 calories and 26 grams of carbohydrate, while one medium-size sweet potato contains 100 calories and 23 grams of carbohydrate.
- A medium-size white potato provides 3 grams of protein while a medium-size sweet potato provides 2 grams of protein.
- Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of beta carotene, a component of vitamin A, as evidenced by their yellow-orange flesh. One medium-size sweet potato provides enough vitamin A to meet daily needs.
- According to the US Department of Agriculture National Nutrient Database, the following is also true (based on a medium-size 5.3 ounce white or sweet potato)2:
- Both white and sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin B6.
Download PDF: White Potatoes vs. Sweet Potatoes Facts→
Download PDF: Nutrition Comparision White Potatoes vs. Sweet Potatoes
- FDA Top 20 Raw Vegetables: https://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutrition/ucm114222.htm
- US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Nutrient Data Laboratory. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 28. Version Current: September 2015, slightly revised May 2016. Internet: https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md-bhnrc/beltsville-human-nutrition-research-center/nutrient-data-laboratory/